Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Focus on the Positives

Last week was one of those weeks where everything just pissed me off. Steve had another medication reaction that made him sleepy and pretty much worthless. The kids were home from daycare because we didn't have the money to send them. Steve was paid his normal short term disability pay, but then a third of it was removed from our account without our knowledge.

Did I mention the kids were home from daycare? Yeah, that meant I couldn't work until after they went to bed.

Needless to say, I was a tired, cranky, unhappy person and quite the joy to be around. Most of the time I was either screaming, crying or just plain not talking.  I'm pretty sure my family preferred the not talking.

My mood set off Steve's already foul mood -- he hates to be worthless and sleep all the time.  The kids were cranky because Mommy and Daddy were fighting. It was horrible around here.

I tell you all of this because it made us realize something. Something we should have realized a long time ago. We can wallow in our misery. Hate God because he won't heal Steve's back. Hate everyone because they have it better than us. Or, we can focus on the good in life.

We may not have a lot of money right now, but we have enough to eat and a roof over our head. Steve may not be able to wrestle with the kids, but he can read to them and play games with them. I have the ability to do the work that I love, even if its at 2 am. Our kids are healthy, happy and interested in life.

No, our life is not going the way we expected it to. But, it's going the way it is supposed to. Steve and I have always said "Things happen exactly when they are supposed to." We just seem to have forgotten that. Now we are focusing on remembering.

We are also focusing on creating routines for our lives. We need them and they allow us to go through our day with purpose. Everyone needs purpose and direction. More on that topic tomorrow. For now, have a wonderful, purposeful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment